It blocks pain by interrupting the conduction in the small c-fibers, the nonmyelinated nerve fibers.
2. It is anti-inflammatory.
3. It is bacteriostatic, fungistatic, and virostatic.
4. It transports numerous pharmaceuticals across membranes.
5. It reduces the incidence of platelet thrombi in blood vessels.
6. It has a specific effect on cardiac contractility by inhibiting calcium to reduce the workload of the heart.
7. It stimulates prostaglandin synthesis - cyclical fatty acids that possess diverse biologic activities that affect cell function in every organ system. PGs have sedative and anticonvulsive effects on the central nervous system.
8. It enhances antifungal and antibacterial agents when combined with them.
9. It is a vasodilator, probably related to histamine release in the cells and to prostaglandin inhibition.
10. It inhibits the release of cholinesterase.
11. It tends to soften collagen by its peculiar cross-linking effect.
12. It scavenges the hydroxyl free radical.
13. It stimulates various types of immunity.
14. It is a potent diuretic, especially when administered intravenously.
15. It stimulates the healing of wounds.